In most cases, a mobile blast or mobile explosion occurs due to a mobile battery blast. Let us try to find out the exact reason for a mobile battery failure that causes mobile blasting.
Why does Mobile Blast Occur?
Lithium batteries are used in all the devices that can be accomplished because it is considered as they are the most energy-efficient.
But in recent years, there were a lot of incidents of mobile blasts because of battery bursting.
A few years back Samsung Galaxy Note 7 came with a battery fire that was to be completely withdrawn from the market.
A Redmi Note 3 video became viral on which one who sees fire on it and then Xiaomi explained. They came up with a self-ridiculous statement that fire was caused by using a ‘non-standard’ charger, without even assuring that their mobile was blasted.
In the majority of incidents, it was found that mobile blasts by the aftereffect of a mobile battery explosion.
The lithium batteries explosion is old enough as lithium batteries. The first generation of lithium batteries was well aware that after the full charge if it is continuously charged at higher voltages, they would be heated and fired.
Hence, there were many hazards in the first years since we did not use proper chargers.
Facts Behind Battery Blasts
Modern Lithium-Ion batteries we are using in mobile phones have a heavy charge capacity and hence they are very much explosive.
This battery blast may happen at any time when circumstances favor it.
The sequence of a mobile blast or mobile battery blast starts from the heat developed in Li-Ion batteries.
- This may happen due to heat developed in the charging circuit or in the battery itself.
- In addition to this heat, already there is some heat in the battery due to chemical action which may further spread the heat to the electrolyte area.
- This high temperature in the electrolyte causes its expansion which in turn bursts the battery case.
- The hot liquid coming out is very inflammable and causes burning or melting of the surroundings next to the battery, which in turn may lead to a total mobile phone blast. Sometimes it may hurt the user too.
Safety Precautions in Modern Batteries
Shorting of battery terminals also causes lithium batteries to fire and burn. Battery manufacturers began to add a small protection circuit inside the lithium batteries, to avoid the hazards due to nonstandard chargers or by accidentally shorting the terminal lines.
There will be a similar protection circuit for all lithium batteries, including smartphone batteries currently available on the market.
This allows you to ensure safety by avoiding the battery via an external/internal short circuit and overcharging.
There is a special type of insulator which is also known as a separator between positive and negative electrodes to avoid the possibility of short-circuiting the electrodes of cells.
Other safety features of the batteries include
- Circuit to eliminate high current surges.
- Non-inflammable components are added to the electrolyte which reduces the chances of heavy explosion.
- Device to monitor the pressure in the battery which interrupts the circuit when it exceeds a certain level
- Thermal fuses break the circuit when the temperature exceeds a safe level.
- Safety exhaust vents allow the passage of the excess gases developed inside the battery.
Why Do Batteries Have the Fire?
Despite all this, why do batteries have the fire?
Is the Charger problem or Battery failure?
Here is the villain battery itself. The main reason behind, manufacturers are trying to reduce weight and thickness by sacrificing the necessary safety precautions which leads to mechanical instability.
But in some cases, the mobile blast has happened as a result of battery electrodes shorting through the low-quality chargers.
And there are chances of phones exploding while charging and talking occur simultaneously.
The flashes of mobile phone batteries, including Galaxy Note-7, Mi phone blast, and Oppo phone blast have happened due to the mechanical stability of the batteries and defective separator which failed to withstand the internal short circuit.
We already explained the basic reason for the mobile phone battery explosion, resulting from some other reasons.
1. Dropping of Battery
Whenever the phone falls we only care to know about the damage to the phone display. But when it fell strongly it may affect the internal structure or alignment of electrodes and electrolytes inside the battery.
Also, a strong mechanical impact on batteries causes malfunctioning or complete destruction of the battery protective circuit.
This will cause swelling, deformation, or overheating of the cell. So care should be taken to examine the battery also when the mobile phone dropped down from a high altitude.
2. How May Overheating of the Phone Lead to a Mobile Blast?
Almost all modern smartphones can shut down the device on overheating we should stay away from the reasons which cause it.
The phone’s operating environment should be low-temperature.
Excessive gaming or other applications which uses tremendous CPU power, Long phone calls, and searching for Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity are some of the regular reasons for overheating in our daily life.
Already there is a nominal rise in the temperature of the battery when it is being charged.
The following points should be taken care of during mobile phone charging.
- The phone should be kept out of its case to allow natural air circulation.
- Don’t keep the phone on any other cover or bag.
- Keep the phone away from a hot environment, especially inside a hot car.
- Avoid the exposure of the phone to direct sunlight.
3. Low Quality or Wrong Charger
It should be noted that the charger that comes with the phone meets the specifications required for charging the specific battery.
So replacing the same will cause improper charging and further destruction of the phone.
Always try to use the prescribed charger having specified voltage and current ratings.
4. The Punctured Battery Also Causes a Mobile Blast
Lithium is very susceptible to reacting with water or oxygen. So punctured battery will enable this direct reaction of the lithium with water/oxygen.
This will produce some results which are from small fumes with an annoying smell to a full-on explosion.
5. Wet Phone May Cause Mobile Blast
Lithium has a chemical behavior that it will ignite when in contact with water and cause a phone blast. As we know modern phones are water-resistant and a healthy battery case is water-sealed.
But this is not the scenario when a combination of a cheap mobile phone with a punctured battery.
Care should be taken to resist water entry inside the phone in any case.
Consider Buying a Branded Phone from Reputed Manufacturers
Even though modern smartphones and batteries are coming with the above-mentioned safety features there may be some exceptions.
But in most cases, leading manufacturers are trying to implement safety precautions.
But some local manufacturers are keeping away from these safety features as a part of reducing their manufacturing expenses. They are trying to incorporate low-quality electronic components and other parts as a part of cost reduction.
These low-quality components may fail to withstand the normal load on the mobile phone and cause the temperature to rise inside the mobile case. This may lead to a fire on the motherboard or battery of the phone and result in a total explosion of the complete phone unit.
So try to avoid that type of cheap mobile phone.
Be Safe with Mobile Phone Batteries
Keep in mind that you are dealing with a device with heavy explosion capacity in extreme conditions.
So try to avoid the conditions which catalyze the overheating of the battery and stay away from injury.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. If it gets too hot, avoid charging the phone. Allow the phone to cool down and recharge the test. If there is no change in temperature rise, consult the service center.
2. Always use the prescribed charger.
3. Don’t use the phone when it is charging.
4. Keep your phone away from you while charging. Don’t keep your phone in your bed while it’s charging, especially at night.
5. Don’t keep your phone in a box or a car dashboard during the charging period. There should be appropriate areas for air circulation.
Subscribe to our free newsletter so that you will get regular updates directly in your Email.
Also, don’t forget to share this article with your friends and relatives for their information.